Thursday, November 8, 2012

Hildebrandt Makes 2012 "20 Under 40" List


For Nick Hildebrandt, architecture might seem a natural fit, since he's been building a successful career through experiences that might shake others to their foundations.
Hildebrandt, 33, a native of Tripoli, was a budding architecture major in 2001 at Iowa State University when his then-girlfriend and now his wife, Jacque, suffered a stroke while playing basketball.
He stayed by her side through the entire ordeal.
Only a month later, his father was killed in an accident.
He calls that year "my most valuable life lesson."
He still had a year of college to get through, but with the support of Jacque and family members, he would endure and grow.
"Not just letting it define me as a person but have it kind of motivate me and be a part of me as I moved forward was probably the biggest defining moment," he said.
Hildebrandt landed an internship with StruXture at its Des Moines office and worked there full time for several years after his graduation from ISU in 2002.
The company eventually moved Hildebrandt to its Waterloo headquarters. He became a registered architect in 2008 and earned accreditation in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design the next year. He is a member of the American Institute of Architects and Iowa AIA.
Hildebrandt gradually moved into an associate position and was offered a partnership at StruXture three years ago.
With all that, Hildebrandt makes time to give to the community. He's a member of the Waterloo Downtown Rotary Club, serves as group leader and Sunday school teacher at Heartland Vineyard Church, was secretary of the board of the Volunteer Center of Cedar Valley and served on a number of community-betterment boards. Hildebrandt also is a graduate of Cedar Valley Leadership Institute.
"His interest in service is not based on resume building but rather in making a difference in a community in which he plans to live and raise his family," said Geoffrey Grimes, a partner at StruXture.
Hildebrandt, who lives with Jacque and their three daughters in Denver, said several factors guide his philosophy of giving back to the community.
"One would be my family, my parents, the work ethic I learned growing up on a farm," he said. "Another would be my faith. I believe in giving back and not just getting promoted and using them. Ultimately, those are probably the two biggest driving forces and also leaving this place a better place for my kids. I have three girls at home."
Hildebrandt said winning The Courier's 20 Under 40 Award reminds him that he has a duty to serve the community, but it brings no more pressure than he applies to himself.
"I strive to be the best that I can be in everything that I do, so putting more pressure on as being in an elite group does not feel like any different pressure than anything else that I put upon myself," he said.
Jane Miller, a colleague at StruXture, also nominated Hildebrandt for the award.
"People are drawn to Nick's great personality and good business sense; he leads by example and always has time for everyone," Miller said.



By JIM OFFNER